Cassia Tora Products: Processing, Properties and Their Potential Uses
The cassia tora also known as Senna tora, is an herbaceous annual malodorous plant. Cassia tora is a dicot legume in the family Leguminose. Its name is derived from Sinhalese language. This plant grows in hot, wet and tropical climates. Countries like India, Pakistan and China are major suppliers of Cassia Tora.
The plant and its parts such as seeds, leaves and flowers are used in many ways. For instance, young leaves can be cooked as vegetable, flowers are added to food to enhance the aroma of food, and seeds can be considered as a healthier substitute for coffee. The plants are also used in Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine as it contains an organic compound known as Anthraquinone.
Here, the products of Cassia Tora:
Cassia Tora Seed: Processing: The Cassia Tora seeds are obtained from Cassia plant. The seeds are processed and cleaned, to use it for any purpose. Properties:
- The seeds are hard in texture.
- It is sweet, salty and bitter in flavor.
- It contains Chrysophanol, Aurantio-Obtusin and Vitamin A.
- It promotes sleep & helps to cool down the body.
- It is a great remedy for conjunctivitis and inflammation when it is used with self-heal Spica Prunellae.
- It lowers hypertension.
- It helps in weight loss.
- It lessens the swelling, discount and pain of muscles by improving blood circulation.
Cassia Gum Powder:
Processing: The endosperm of cassia seeds processed to make Cassia Gum powder. Properties:
- Its color is off white.
- It is odorless.
- The texture is a fine powder.
- It is soluble in cold water.
- It is used as thickener, emulsifier and moisture retention agent in food industry.
- It is used as a water soluble agent, viscosifier and gelling agent in industries such as pharmaceutical, cosmetics, and many more.
Cassia Tora Splits: Processing: Cassia tora seeds are broken into two halves and are known as Cassia Tora Splits. The husk and the germ of the seed are removed from the de-husking and splitting process. Later, it is made brittle by heating it. Properties:
- It has moisture content, in it.
- It has fiber, protein and fat in it.
- Its color ranges from off white to yellow.
- It is soluble in hot water.
- Cassia Tora Splits is used in livestock feed products like cow foods, dog feeds, fish feeds and many more.
- It is used in making cassia gum powder.
- It is used as gelling agent in preparation of air fresheners.
Cassia Tora Churi Meal Processing: During the process of splitting and de-husking of Cassia seed, the germ and husk are obtained. These two components contain high protein in it. It is known as Cassia Tora Churi Meal. Properties:
- It appears in yellow color.
- It contains sand and silica.
- Its protein content is quite high.
- It contains certain percentage of oil and crude fibers.
- Cassia Tora Churi Meal is used as cattle feed as it contains protein in high amount.
Why Avlast Hydrocolloids? Avlast Hydrocolloids came into existence in 2006. It is located in Ahmedabad, Gujarat. It serves customers with wide range of Guar and Cassia products. The company has tied with the major growers of Guar and Cassia to get the high quality of raw materials. The raw materials and finished products are tested and checked through physical, chemical and microbiological process in their own laboratories.